Updating Your Home From the Inside Out
When you want to update your home, you can add a new coat of paint, rearrange the furniture, and even buy new decor, but there is one area that you may be missing. A great way to add a new look and more value to your home is with a window treatment. But not just any window treatment will do. You need something that will look good as well as last a long time. For that, you may want to consider plantation shutters. These are a sound investment for those that want to update their home with minimal effort. To learn more about plantation shutters in Blue Bell, PA, give Dirt Slayer Blinds a call at 267-280-3578.
Plantation Shutters Pros and Cons
If you are considering updating your home, you may be wondering why choose plantation shutters? Is there really anything that great about them? There are several advantages to a plantation shutter in comparison to a typical blind installation in Blue Bell, PA. We’ve gone over a few of the pros and cons for you.
- Customizable: Plantation shutters are desired because of how customizable and versatile they are. When you work with a reliable company, they can offer you a variety of colors, textures, and material styles to match your needs.
- Energy-Efficient: These shutters can actually help your home with energy-efficiency. It’s true! They help to block out a substantial amount of light and heat which will in turn allow your HVAC system to efficiently operate.
- Longevity: When you invest in these shutters, you are getting something that it going to last. With no strings to get tangled or frayed, or pliable blinds that can bend easily, you’ll have a system that will last as long as you need it to.
- Value: In general, plantation shutters are built and installed inside the home. They can sometimes be considered built-into the home, which means that they will stay when you move or sell the property. This can be factored into the price of the home, ultimately increasing the value of your property.
- Price: Because these shutters are built and installed into a window area, the price of them will be significantly more expensive than typical blinds. That can make it harder for some homeowners to invest.
- Maintenance: In order to experience the best out of your plantation shutters, you do have to maintain them regularly. This means cleaning, adjusting, and more, which can become tiresome and expensive. A few things some homeowners aren’t interested in doing.
- Visibility: The problem many homeowners find with these shutters is that you can always see them. While that is often the point of getting them, if they become damaged or worn, there is no real way to hide them. This is something that can bother some homeowners.
- Versatility: Depending on who you choose to work with, there can be a lack of versatility in terms of color, style, and the like. This is a big deterrent for homeowners that want to be able to customize their home to their preferences.
Plantation Shutters vs Blinds
There are in fact several differences between plantation shutters for windows and typical blinds. For starters, the price. The most basic blinds are not only going to be inexpensive to purchase but just as inexpensive to install. Plantation shutters, however, are going to be more costly for purchasing and installation purposes. That being said, shutters will generally last about 2x longer than blinds, which only have a life of about 5-years. Additionally, plantation shutters are considered more energy-efficient in comparison to blinds. Similar to metal roofing, the shutters help to block light and heat which prevents spaces from overheating.
Plantation shutters are definitely more of a long-term investment, something that you would purchase for a home you plan to stay in for a while. If you can’t afford them, though, there are still several types of blinds that are of good quality that can last longer than you may think.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best material for plantation shutters?
- Of the options out there, some of the best materials that plantation shutters can be made from are PVC, composite wood, foamed synthetics, basswood, laminate, and more. Each material varies in price which can help you budget.
- Are plantation shutters worth it?
- Plantation shutters can often be difficult to install and just get right in general. If you are investing in them, it’s best to rely on experts that know what they are doing. In that case, they are very much worth the cost.
- What is the difference between plantation shutters and traditional shutters?
- The biggest differences come from the stylization of the shutters. Traditional shutters are going to have a more narrow slat while plantation shutters will have a larger slat. Whichever you choose is up to personal preference.
- How long do plantation shutters last?
- These shutters can last between 10-25 years, depending on the material, installation, and maintenance. The better you care for them, the longer they will last.
- Do plantation shutters add value to your home?
- Yes, plantation shutters will add value to your home. Since they are typically installed inside the home, they will stay with the house when you choose to sell, helping to increase the overall value.
Dial 267-280-3578 to be Connected With the Best
Ready to starting improving your home? Call Dirt Slayer Blinds at 267-280-3578 to discuss plantation shutters for your Blue Bell, PA home. We look forward to hearing from you.